A house in Three Rivers was severely damaged by heat and smoke as the result of a fire Sunday afternoon.
According to Three Rivers Fire Chief Dan Tomlinson, the residence at 707 7th St., was filled with smoke and fire was emitting from a first-floor window as crews arrived at 5:30 p.m.
Nobody was home at the time of the blaze. Tomlinson said firefighters managed to retrieve a number of wrapped presents inside the residence.
A cause of the fire was not immediately determined.
St. Joseph County Victim Services was able to arrange temporary housing for the family. Tomlinson also acknowledged the Three Rivers McDonald’s for providing food and beverage to fire crews.