Gas leak at high school

Students at White Pigeon Middle/High School were dismissed for the day at 11:30 a.m. Monday after a gas leak was reported by a faculty member. Superintendent Ron Drzewicki said the odor was brought to his attention around 10 a.m. Drzewicki said he called SEMCO energy after it was determined the source of the smell was from the school’s boiler room. School personnel shut off the gas, which cut off the school’s source of heat and prohibited kitchen staff from cooking lunch. Fortunately, Drzewicki said, lunch was already made for Central Elementary. In light of the circumstances and for the safety of the school’s students, Drzewicki said the decision calling for an early dismissal was made. Central Elementary students were not subject to the early release. SEMCO officials corrected the problem in about an hour.

Check Also

Glen Oaks plans yard sale

Glen Oaks Community College will hold a yard sale 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. …