Extension cord is believed to cause fire

An extension cord is believed to have started a fire this week at a residence in Sturgis.

According to the Sturgis Fire Department, the blaze was reported at 7:50 p.m. Monday in the 300 block of West Congress Street.

Crews first to arrive noticed smoke from the upper level of the two-story residence. The fire was limited to a closet and surrounding area, though the residence sustained significant heat and smoke damage, according to a department media release.

Firefighters had to clear several windows to help alleviate smoke and heat.

The extension cord was being used to operate a window air-conditioning unit.

Check Also

COA receives grant

The St. Joseph County Commission on Aging has received nearly $6,000 from Area Agency on Aging as …