Officials say one person is dead and several others sickened by carbon monoxide aboard a boat in Lake Michigan.
The Berrien County sheriff’s department says rescuers responded Sunday off of Jean Klock Park in the southwestern Michigan city of Benton Harbor for an unknown medical emergency on the boat.
The department says three from the boat were taken to hospitals, where 53-year-old Leonard Anthony Russian of Cass County was pronounced dead.
A 45-year-old woman from Cass County was treated at a hospital in St. Joseph. And a 63-year-old man from Granger, Indiana, was taken to a hospital in Grand Rapids for treatment.
The department says several first-responders also were admitted to a hospital after being sickened.
The sheriff’s department is investigating it as a case of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. (AP)