Sturgis home damaged in fire

A Sturgis residence sustained smoke and water damage following a fire around 7 p.m. Saturday.
Crews were dispatched to the 200 block of North Fourth Street following a report of an upstairs bedroom on fire. Sturgis Police confirmed the presence of smoke from the area in question.
Firefighters were advised upon arrival that all occupants had evacuated the residence. A pet rabbit from the bedroom was subsequently saved by firefighters.
The initial fire-attack crew stretched a hose line to the second floor, where it was able to knock down the fire and keep the blaze contained to the bedroom.
Cause of the fire is believed to be from open burning of candles near a bed. Due to the amount smoke and water damage, the residence is currently deemed unlivable.
Victim Services and the Red Cross were on hand to provide aid to the family.

Check Also

Icy roads cause multi-car crash

Icy roads were blamed as a factor in a four-vehicle crash earlier this week in …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *