The St. Joseph County United Way is appealing to the public in an effort to raise funds for a pair of flood victims.
Executive director Kelly Hostetler said one house needs a new furnace. The owner, an elderly woman, was taken to the hospital recently for treatment from carbon monoxide poisoning. Her basement has six inches of standing water and an estimate for a new furnace is $3,500.
The second house is owned by a woman who is in a wheelchair, has cancer and is using space heaters to warm her home. The cost for a new furnace at her residence is also $3,500.
Hostetler said $1,500 has been raised so far and all contributions are tax-deductible.
The agency can be reached by calling 467-9099.