A Constantine residence was declared a total loss after it was destroyed by fire early Monday.
Chief Mike Haydon said the department was alerted at 4:41 a.m. to a fire in the 100 block of East Third Street. Upon arrival, crews noticed flames coming from the windows and doors on the east side of the structure. The fire, which was extinguished in 25 minutes, was reported by neighbors.
Haydon said it appears the blaze started in the area of a bathroom and laundry room on the first floor of the residence. He noted that the type of construction and remodeling over the years made it difficult for firefighters to get to some areas of the structure.
The owner of the residence was home at the time and managed to escape unharmed. The owner told authorities that the residence and its contents are insured.