Fourth Ward has streets named after two presidents: George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. A United States Army officer, explorer, U. S. Senator, General John C. Fremont’s name pops up occasionally in some information as an alternative but it was never made official. But there may be one of the lanes in the cemetery so named.
Three Rivers City Directory 1965 lists buildings on Washington Street north of E. Michigan as # 305 Diamond Ball, emp. Sturgis Foundry, wife Mary, child Mia: 4th Ave. intersects. #413 Goldie Bragg, no info, #416 H.P. Barrows School: 6th Ave. intersects. #613 James Woody, #614 Sybert Crose, carpenter, wife Charlett emp. Continental Can Co.,ch: Scott, Julie, Todd, Lore. 7th Ave. intersects. # 1008 Frank Ward, #1015 Douglas Losik, emp. KVP Sutherland, wife Barbara (clerk Vaughn’s) ch: Belinda, Kim.
In researching the story of Barrows School, named for Henry Parkins Barrows (1854-1926), headstone in Riverside Cemetery) it was a surprise to suddenly see in the March 6, 2026 addition of our paper the headline “Barrows school building to be sold off by TR schools”. Mr. Barrows history in Three Rivers started in 1886 with the Initial Toe Pad Company with partners F. B. Watson and K. D. Knowles. In 1968 the building (known as the locker plant) was torn down and replaced by an apartment complex. Mr. Barrows was a prominent figure as president of Three Rivers Savings & Loan Assoc., in his position on the school board (he served 20 years on the board) and involvement in many community projects. The Barrows home at 196 E. Michigan and The Toe Pad building were sold to Albert Van Alystine (the mayor who moved the soldiers monument from the corner of Main and East Michigan (3rd Ave.). Van Alystine continued maintaining and building the beautiful gardens Barrows had started at the business and home.
A short history of Barrows School: There was a small Fourth Ward School before the 1931 Henry P. Barrows School was dedicated. Before the Barrows School was on built on Washington Street, James Wetherbee was the principal. Wonder what the building could be used for in the future.
Next time: The history and mystery of the Riverside Cemetery.
Submitted by Anna Smith, a Three Rivers history and mystery lover.
WLKM Radio 95.9 FM
