• Hospital Physician Partners (HPP) has successfully begun physician staffing of our Emergency Department. Dr. Grover, Dr. Schumaker and Dr. Solanki will continue to work in our ED. Dr. Grover has accepted the position as the Medical Director effective March 1st.
Other Important News:
• Sturgis Hospital is one of only 323 hospitals in the World and 308 in the United States to carry a Stage 6 designation The Hospital has achieved the Stage 6 designation of the HIMSS Analytics Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Adoption Model. This distinction honors our organization’s accomplishments to implement technology solutions to improve patient safety and quality of care. For more information log on to sturgishospital.com.
• The Community Health Needs Assessment, conducted in cooperation with Three Rivers Health, the Branch-Hillsdale St. Joseph County Community Health Agency and Community Mental Health, closed on February 23. We had 620 respondents. Once the data has been tabulated, there is a process for feedback to several audiences for further clarification and input prior to completing the report. I expect to have the report in time for our planning session this summer.
• I am pleased to report that Sturgis Hospital was the #1 Company Contributor to United Way — raising $47,583. The addition of our “Medical Staff vs. Administration” roof sit last fall, which raised $28,000, was what propelled us into that position. This is quite an honor for the Hospital and its associates. This marks the 12th straight year we have been in the top ten giving companies in the county. Our Committee did an outstanding job this year.
• Julie Wood, Revenue Cycle Manager, successfully completed training in the AHIMA Academy, which allows her to be designated as an AHIMA-Approved Trainer in ICD-10-CM/PCS coding systems. This AHIMA developed program allows those qualified trainers to guide coding professionals in becoming proficient in the ICD-10-CM/PCS coding systems. The change to the ICD-10 coding system will be a major one for hospitals.
• The Colon Medical Clinic opens in its new location at 111 St. Joseph St., Colon, on March 8 at 8:00 a.m. The improved facilities are sure to please Dr. Shumaker’s patients.